Narelle and I would like to invite you to follow our trip to the Middle East this March and April. We hope you enjoy the blogs we post as we travel around this beautiful part of the world.

Sunday 31 March 2013

Sand everywhere...

Off we head into the dunes of the desert for a night at a Oman camp. The day was again a scorching 35c and I feel in three days I have drank enough water to put this country into drought.

After a few hours drive dodging camels, donkeys and goats we reached a small valley in the dunes. this was our camp, yep in the middle of absolutely nowhere. It still amazes me that normal people can find a way to live and make a living in the harshest places. As u can c in the photo our hut was pretty cool and the open air bathroom was a delight, well for Narelle's senses anyways!

Camel was on the menu for dinner, the animal not the smokes Jamie. I


thought it tasted exactly how it looks; tough and it was like chewing on a fur ball with beef flavour. I won't b ordering that again!

After dinner it was up to the top of the dunes for some sledding. Great fun...although I am now finding sand in places where sand just should not get.

We managed to spend a little time with the two local ladies pictured today. They were the wives of the guy who owned the camp. They were making little wool trinkets to sell for a little extra cash. It was also quite unusual to see their head piece. It had a solid piece down the centre of the face and I was told this was to assist with vision during sand storms. Please remember that this is a cultural piece of clothing not a religious item, so it is their own choice to wear it...no judging.

We are now in Nizwa in central Oman and have just had a wonderful meal at the local eatery. It was a huge feast of lamb, chicken, bread and dip. I managed to offset the meal with 100 laps of the hotel swimming pool...

Russell The three camels I sold Narelle for...


Top left: How the hell do u order a soy flat white no sugar in Arabic?



Open air luxury.

Location:Oman

1 comment:

lyonesset said...

The bathroom is great! Would have been amazing at night - good star watching I suspect